
The Twin Cities Area Transportation Authority is working to satisfy new federal requirements after the Federal Transit Administration froze funding for its Dial A Ride service.
According to The Herald-Palladium, the FTA sent a letter to TCATA on February 6 stating, “TCATA has been placed under ECHO drawdown restrictions,” a move that temporarily limits the agency’s access to federal funds. Benton Harbor City Manager and TCATA board member Alex Little told the board last week that the FTA is requesting additional documentation about the agency’s internal operations.
“Designation of signature authority, for example, an updated board approved authorizing resolution, an opinion of council letter, a copy of policies and procedures reflecting segregation of duties and internal controls,” Little said.
Little said he plans to bring several resolutions before the board to address the FTA’s questions. He also said the development isn’t necessarily all bad news.
“It’s going to present an opportunity for us also to think beyond just this interim period, and I think that’s part of what they’re asking for is what’s our projection going out into the year.”
The funding issue comes as TCATA prepares for an operational change. In December, the agency hired Via Transportation to take over Dial-A-Ride operations, with the company expected to begin service locally in March.
Little told the board he does not want to rush the response to the FTA’s’s requests and may not have all required documents ready by the next regular board meeting.